Psychometrics 101: What Your Psychometrician is Really Saying
Track: Pre-Conference Workshops
During this interactive workshop, you will learn the basic concepts of psychometrics and their relationship to test design, development, and administration. This session, we will:
- Provide an overview of the exam design and development process;
- Define validity, reliability, and fairness and how each are ensured throughout the process;
- Provide general guidelines and key considerations related to the execution of each step of exam development (virtual versus in-person sessions; number of subject matter experts);
- Discuss the design, development, and delivery requirements of your assessments and exams;
- Discuss psychometric rules of thumb and shed light on what psychometricians really mean when they say, “it depends,” what factors must be considered, and how those factors affect the decision that is made, and
- Describe key considerations to determine if your credentialing program meets your programmatic and strategic goals, including accreditation requirements (ANSI/ISO/IEC, NCCA).
Understanding these concepts will provide the foundation that allows you to make better decisions that balance psychometric requirements with the business realities that you face every day in managing your program (e.g., limited resources, time, budget, and legal risks).
Throughout the session, attendees will be encouraged to ask questions and share their experiences. Attendees will leave with their psychometric questions answered and will be able to engage in more productive conversations with their current psychometric team.